DOER volunteers can still support the CARITAS mission of providing shelter and support to women in need during the pandemic:
- Donate grocery cards (Walmart, Kroger, Food Lion) and fast food gift cards (McDonald’s, Chick-Fil-A, Subway, Panera). Please mail your cards to CARITAS P.O. Box 25790 Richmond, VA 23260-5790, Attention: Clara Stokes.
- Donate fabric masks and hand sanitizers. Hundreds of fabric masks that can be washed and reused are needed! Please make no-contact drop to the collection box (near the mail box) in the parking lot of The Healing Place, 700 Dinwiddie Street Avenue, Richmond VA 23224
- Along with our community partners, CARITAS has created opportunities to help serve meals to people sheltered in hotels during this time. Go to CARITAS/Response to Covid- 19 to learn more, or for questions email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Go to WomankindRichmond.com and click on “purchase items for CARITAS.”
- Homeless service partners have worked with the City of Richmond to create a list of items you can donate to CARITAS and to other programs like it: gift cards for gas stations and food; cleaning supplies; disposable face masks; thermometers; and canned food. If you’re interested in donating, please contact Michael Rogers of Homeward at email@example.com or via phone at 804-343-2045 x 22.
- Especially for children: donate artwork, prayer cards, and friendly “hello cards” with hope, and love, and inspiration, and maybe butterflies to the children and parents of our community shelters. Your message can read to: Residents of (shelter name) and from: Friends of St. James’s Episcopal Church, Contact addresses as listed:
Home Again, Inc. P.O. Box 5222, Richmond, 23220 (children and adults)
Housing Families First, 3900 Nine Mile Road, Henrico, 23233 (children and adults)
- Pray daily for all shelter residents and staff.