The Taste of St. James’s is Coming. Pre-ordering starts Friday, Oct. 29. The Taste of…
Summer Service Projects for Children, Youth, & Families
St. James’s children, youth, and families are invited and encouraged to put their faith into action this August by sourcing food to feed people who are struggling with hunger during these challenging economic times. There are three ways you and your family can help share God’s love with others.
- Gleaning in the Fields on Saturday, August 22
- Donate food & gift cards
- Organize a Neighborhood Food Drive
More details below:
- Gleaning in the Fields: Your family can day-trip to a Virginia farm to glean crops on Saturday, August 22 with Harvest of Hope. Gleaning is the act of collecting leftover crops from farmers’ fields after they have been commercially harvested or on fields where it is not economically profitable to harvest. It is a Christian practice described in multiple places in the Old Testament. Our middle school Mini-Mission trip has been serving with Harvest of Hope for five years and now you can volunteer as a family. All fresh food you glean will go to local food banks and be available to those in need in about 24 hours. Safety precautions and social distancing will be in effect during the entire day, which is why this is being done as a family unit. At least one parent must accompany children and youth. What a wonderful hands-on way to make a direct impact for people struggling to afford food. If you are interested in participating, sign up online using this Gleaning Registration Form by August 15. Questions? Contact Drew Hartley at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donate Food & Gift Cards: Your family can purchase food or gift cards and donate them to the church during August. The Rees family has offered to do no-contact pick-ups of your food and gift cards from outside your home. You just need to purchase food and/or gift cards, then fill out this form to Schedule a Food & Gift Card Pick Up. Food and gift card guidelines:
- Donate Food: You can shop for non-perishable items when you get your groceries. Your food donation will go directly to support the local food pantries of Feed More and Peter Paul Development Center.
Food Items needed:
- Peanut Butter
- Canned Protein (chicken, tuna, etc.)
- Canned vegetables
- Canned fruit
- Tomato/marinara sauce
- Canned Beans
- Whole Grain Cereals
- Donate Gift Cards: You can purchase and provide one or more $20-$25 Kroger gift cards. Please put these in an envelope along with the gift card receipt. We need the gift card receipt number and a clear indication of the value of each card. Our church provides gift cards, rather than cash, to people who approach the church in need of assistance affording groceries.
- Organize a Neighborhood Food Drive: Use the text below to create a flyer to invite your neighbors to join you in donating food or gift cards. Pass out the flyer to neighbors and then coordinate picking up their donations. Then at the end of the month, use this form to Schedule a Food & Gift Card Pick Up of all the donations you collected in your neighborhood.