September 18, 2020
St. James’s Episcopal Church is excited to announce that registration is now open for the 2020-2021 confirmation preparation process for youth and adults seeking the sacrament of confirmation in the Episcopal Church.
St. James’s is committed to offering a meaningful (and fun!) confirmation process in spite of the pandemic. Here’s what this process entails this year:
- The entire process will be virtual.
- Youth and adults seeking confirmation at St. James’s will participate together in one mixed-age process led by clergy, staff, and volunteers.
- Participants in the confirmation process must already be baptized in the Christian faith (any denomination). For information on getting baptized, contact Becky Page at [email protected].
- Youth are welcome to participate beginning as 9th graders. If this year doesn’t feel like a good fit, you’re welcome to come back any time in the future now that this is a mixed-age process.
- 10th graders whose confirmation process was interrupted by the pandemic are welcome to participate in this year’s program as an extension of what you started last year, but it is not required. If you’re interested, simply register below.
- Any youth in grades 9-12 who participate must attend every session with at least one parent/guardian. Parents are the most significant influence in the faith formation of their children, so the church is committed to equipping parents with the knowledge, language, tools, and confidence to teach the faith to your own home.
- Adults seeking confirmation who participate in this process will be organized into virtual small groups with other adults.
- The process will consist of 5 two-hour virtual sessions on the following themes:
- Baptism and Confirmation
- Book of Common Prayer & Eucharist
- Love God & Love Neighbor
- Church & Prayer
- Holy Week
- Each session will be synchronous. There will be some live discussion, prerecorded video, and interactive activities for you to do at home. Sessions will last two hours from 6:30-8:30 p.m.
- Participants will each get a “confirmation kit” with material to use at home during virtual sessions. Arrangements will be made for registered families to pick up their first kit in early October.
- We’ll offer session #1 in October, #2 in November, #3 in January, #4 in February, #5 in March. Each session will be offered twice during that month for your scheduling convenience, once on a Tuesday night and once on a Sunday night. Dates for 2020-2021 are listed below. You can switch the day you attend from month to month (i.e. Come on Tuesday in October, and Sunday in November.)
- Attendance at all 5 sessions is required to be eligible for confirmation so be sure to mark your calendars early and plan carefully.
- In the spring, we hope to have a confirmation rehearsal and banquet on Sunday, May 2, 2021 from 5:00-7:30 pm depending on health and safety guideline at that time.
- The bishop is tentatively scheduled to come to St. James’s for confirmation on Sunday, May 16, 2021.
The church is designing this to be a high quality and meaningful experience for confirmands and their families. To cover the unanticipated costs of delivering this virtually, there is a $50 participation cost per confirmand (youth or adult).
- Please make $50 checks payable to “St. James’s Episcopal Church” with “Memo: Confirmation.”
- Mail payment to:
Attn: Mary Beth Abplanalp
St. James’s Episcopal Church
1205 W. Franklin St.
Richmond, VA 23220
Confirmation is intended as one element of a more integrated faith formation process including spiritual practices, faith community, and service to others. If you’re committed to growing in your faith and having a deep impact experience, we encourage regular church attendance and involvement in community building experiences (like youth group or bible studies), and mission and outreach ministries.
- Worship is being held online Sunday at 10:00 AM. In-person outdoor worship is beginning September 13. Details about worship is available at www.doers.org.
- Youth Groups begin September 20 virtually. “SYF” or Senior Youth Fellowship is our youth group for 9th-12th graders focused on building relationships with each other, adult leaders, and God.
- Our website has detailed information about Youth Ministry Offerings for 2020-2021.
- Information about Adult Formation Opportunities is also on the website.
- We also encourage you to join the “St. James’s Youth Ministry” Facebook group so you can keep in touch while we are apart. Thanks for letting us join you in this stretch of your spiritual journey.
To register for the 2020-2021 St. James’s confirmation process please complete these online forms and mail a check to the church by September 27, 2020.
- Confirmation Registration 2020-2021 (youth and adult participants)
- Universal Permission Form 2020-2021 (youth participants only)
We encourage parents to join our clergy and adult leaders for a Parent Meeting about Confirmation on Tuesday, October 6 from 5:00-5:30 pm on Zoom. You’ll receive the zoom link after you register.
We’re here to support you and your family. We miss seeing you at church but please know we’re holding you up in our prayers. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Mary Beth Abplanalp
Director of Youth Ministry
Confirmation Dates for 2020-2021
|Confirmation Parent Meeting with Clergy||October 6|
|#1 Baptism and Confirmation||October 13||October 18|
|#2 Book of Common Prayer & Eucharist||November 10||November 15|
|#3 Love God & Love Neighbor||January 26||January 31|
|#4 Church & Prayer||February 23||February 28|
|#5 Holy Week||March 23||March 28|
|Confirmation Camp||Spring 2020 TBD|
|Rehearsal and Banquet||Sunday, May 2, 2021 from 5:00-7:30 pm|
|Bishop Visit & Confirmation service||Sunday, May 16, 2021 in the morning|