Skip to content

Uncovering Our History

The History of St. James’s From the Beginning.

Part II of “Uncovering Our History” – Fall 2021

No matter how much you know about St. James’s, you’ll continue to learn more. As with the Wednesday series in May this past spring –  we’ll continue to learn about the history of St. James’s through the lens of race in our series: “Uncovering Our History – Part II.

Under the leadership of the Becoming Beloved Community Committee, a team of St. James’s parishioners has undertaken the research. Well-known historians of antebellum Richmond and the Episcopal Church, Dr. Gregg Kimball and Dr. Ed Bond, respectively, have provided research within the larger historical landscape and context, and the historical research team on St. James’s Becoming Beloved Community team continues to provide new information.

This series will continue in Fall 2021.  Watch for more details.

Click here to see the full schedule, and here to register.

St. James's - Valentine Museum-FromBeginning

Click on the links below to view YouTube videos of each presentations in the series.  New video recordings will be added each week.

Session One – April 14: An Overview of Richmond 1830-1865, was led by Dr. Gregg Kimball on April 14, 2021. Dr. Kimball is the Director of Public Services and Outreach at the Library of Virginia and the author of American City, Southern Place: A Cultural History of Antebellum Richmond. Click on the image below to view a recording of the presentation and discussion.

April 21: An Overview of the Episcopal Church 1830-1865, by Dr. Edward Bond Dr. Bond is recently retired from Editor-in-Chief of Anglican and Episcopal History at the Historical
Society of the Episcopal Church. He has taught the history of the Episcopal Church at Sewannee’s School
of Theology and was Associate Professor of History at Alabama A&M University 2003-2015.

Session Three – April 28: An Overview of St. James’s – Part I,  was led by the St. James’s Racial Justice and Reconciliation History Team. The group presented the first half of their findings about St. James’s. The RJR History Team includes Alice Tousignant, Elizabeth Harvard, Jane Dowrick, Andy Bennett, and Mary Lou Lee.

Session Four – May 5: St. Philip’s 1830-1865, featured a presentation from Ken Anderson,  a recent graduate of the University of Richmond Law School and parishioner at St. Philip’s Episcopal Church.  He is researching St. Philip’s history as they approach their 160th anniversary later this year.

Back To Top